6/1/2017: I saw a new doctor today, orthopedic specialist Dr. Raj Yalamanchili, to try to find out why my legs hurt so much, especially at night. After examining my knee x-rays, poking, pressing, and manipulating my legs, and asking lots of questions, Dr. Y said he thinks I have shin splints, and definitely arthritis in my knees. However, “given my history” (those words again!), he took another set of x-rays that included my full tibia and fibula. He showed me thickening on the front edges of the bones that can be indicative of shin splints, nothing else out of the ordinary. He advised that I reduce my activity level, take Tylenol for the pain every 6 hours (ibuprofen or naproxen would be better but are contraindicated after my incident with the bruising and petechiae), and take 1000 mg. each of Vitamin D and Calcium daily. If not better in four weeks, he’ll order an MRI.
For the arthritis, he recommended taking glucosamine for six weeks and then quit. If I notice a difference, resume; if not, discontinue. He also said if it turns out Tylenol isn’t sufficient to control the knee pain, he can do cortisone injections. In reply to my question about potential liver damage from Tylenol, he said based on my limited alcohol consumption, it shouldn’t be a problem but to get a liver function test (LFT) in addition my usual blood work at least annually.
I’m so glad I went – my anxiety level is greatly reduced, and I’m pleased to have found a new specialist whom I like very much.
Hope everyone has a great summer! Remember, if you don’t see any postings here from Michael or me, assume all is well.
Leslie wins this round!
(not IDed unless otherwise noted)
- Day +1858: It’s Time by Imagine Dragons (2013) (IDed by Leslie)
- Day +1859: Photograph by Ed Sheeran (2014) (IDed by Leslie)
- Day +1927: I’m Coming Out by Diana Ross (1980)
- Day +1928: Watching TV by Roger Waters (1992)
…Stuck in the Middle by Stealers Wheel (1972) (IDed by Cathy)
- Day +1997: One Piece At a Time by Johnny Cash (1976) (IDed by Leslie)
…Night Moves by Bob Seger (1976) (IDed by Dana)
…1999 by Prince (1982) (IDed by Dana and Leslie)
- Day +2117: Paint a Picture of Yourself (Michael) by Harry Chapin (1977)
- Day +2192: Happy Together by The Turtles (1967) (IDed by Guy, Dana, and Leslie)
- Day – today: I Just Dropped In by Kenny Rogers & the First Edition (1968)
- Day +2362: Bruises by Train (feat. Ashley Monroe) (2012)
- Day +2364: Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd (1979)(IDed by Dana)