10/23/12: As ready as I’ll ever be, I suppose. My neck dissection was originally scheduled for 7:30 tomorrow morning but got pushed until noon. That means we can arrive at the hospital at the more reasonable hour of 9:30 a.m. instead of 5:30 a.m.! Presumably, my hospital stay will be 3-5 days. I don’t have a good idea of what to expect this time, despite talking with my doctors and nurses and reading accounts from others who’ve had similar surgeries because the information varies quite a bit. I guess it’s a case where I’ll just have to wait and see. I trust my surgeon to do a good job. That’s what’s important at this point.
The good news is that my throat pain is much better today. I haven’t had any hydrocodone since yesterday – just a couple of Tylenol. I’m continuing to enjoy this beautiful autumn we’re having. The view from our little home in the woods is lovely. I hate leaving it, even for a few days.