Day +1508: “…I held the blade in trembling hands…”

“… Prepared to make it but just then the phone rang…
… I never had the nerve to make the final cut …”

Dr. Kofi Boahene4 am – wake up / feed cats / birds / warm up car / coffee
4:30 – leave house
5:15 – arrive at Johns Hopkins
5:30 – Karen to pre-op
7:15 – I go visit her in pre-op / picture with surgeon
7:30 – Karen to OR (scheduled for 2 hours)
7:35 – snack bar for coffee and cherry Danish and waiting
8:00 – searching thru songs in my head and noting: used all of those before …

The objective of today’s sequel is to clean out “stuff” left over and accumulated from neck dissection round one. Hopefully improve movement and lymph flow to remove edema. I asked the DR if they would be doing a biopsy of the area and he stated only if they find something unusual. Not willing to tempt the odds with the “habitual” outlier Mausi (Karen to the rest of you), I stopped my question there.

Note: tagline warning: only very loosely ties to surgery.

8:15 Standing by . . . _ _ _ . . .
10:14 OR called – running a little long; nothing to worry about….
10:32 Status board changed to “post OP”
11:05 Karen is still sleeping off the sedation. Nurse brought prescription out along with word to expect post OP to be at least 90 more minutes.
12:04. Karen is awake, sitting in recovery. We are getting instructions now. Nurse is looking for the resident.
12:15 Chatted with doctor, all is good. Karen is resting waiting to gather energy to go home .
15:00 We’re home. Karen and Maya are napping. Just another day … You all come back now! (Ok not now)


  1. Michael,

    Thanks for the post and wishing that all goes smoothly today, will look for an update later.

    Hang in there,

  2. Hospital visits with no unexpected events are the best!! Glad you’re home resting. Hope your recovery is speedy and also without unexpected events!

    Love ya


  3. Great that you are home and resting, thoughts of quick healing to you Karen and a relaxing weekend to you both.

    Debbie and Mike

  4. What an early morning. I’m glad the procedure went smoothly and hope the at home recovery is going well.

  5. Hope all went well and you (and Karen) can return to whatever normal is nowadays. Hugs Lori

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.